Go homepage | Go to the section of THE PARK | Go to the section of PLACES | Go to the section of SCHOOL IN THE PARK | Go to the section of COMMUNITY

Skip navigation and go to contents

Information

  • City districts of:
    Villacidro
    Arbus
    Buggerru
    Fluminimaggiore
    Guspini
    San Gavino Monreale


    tel. 347 9170196
    info@parcodessi.it
  • Regione Sardegna
    POR Sardegna 2000-2006
  • U.E. logo
    Project co financed by U.E. - Fondo FESR
Home - Schedario - San Gavino Monreale: Santa Chiara church

San Gavino Monreale: Santa Chiara church

San Gavino Monreale: Santa Chiara church facade Built around the XV century, situated in a more central position than San Gavino Church, the Santa Chiara church became a Parish between the end of the XVI century and the beginning of the XVII century. Up to the beginning of 1700 the building had just for chapels in Gothic style to which, two large chapels, the choir with round arches, the barrel vault and two side chapels were added.

The present day frame with one main aisle, covered by a roof supported by arched beams, no longer has the great chapel as it was replaced in the 600s by the transept and presbytery. The first chapel on the right is without a doubt of architectural value and dates back to the 500s; it is covered by a ribbed cross vault with suspended capitals in Gothic style.

San Gavino Monreale: Detail of the external wall of the Santa Chiara church The chapel originally supported the quadruple barrelled bell tower, destroyed in 1937; the bell tower dates back to XX century and was built on the left hand side. The prospectus dates back to the 700s, where as its frame is most definitely older and recalls a typical Sardinian style.

Inside: the polychrome marble alter of 1780, the beautiful painted statue of San Michele created by the sculptor Antonio Canu and several sculptures of Lonis.