Go homepage | Go to the section of THE PARK | Go to the section of PLACES | Go to the section of SCHOOL IN THE PARK | Go to the section of COMMUNITY

Skip navigation and go to contents


  • City districts of:
    San Gavino Monreale

    tel. 347 9170196
  • Regione Sardegna
    POR Sardegna 2000-2006
  • U.E. logo
    Project co financed by U.E. - Fondo FESR
Home - The places - Buggerru


  • Area square KM: 48,76
  • Height: 51 m. a.s.l.
  • Population: 1.152

Panorama of BuggerruBuggerru was founded in 1864 amongst extraction activities at the Malfidano mine, at the point where the inaccessible valley of the canal (having the same name) flows into the sea.

The valley was previously called Su Mungerru, area of “milking”, and it may be that its present name comes from this ancient name.

Between the end of the 800s and the beginning of the 900s it became an internationally recognized mining center.

The mining district of Buggerru, already known to the Romans due to the mining activities of the silver-bearing galena, became internationally recognized in 1860 when a society called “La Fortuna” (fortune) started looking for lead and zinc minerals at Malfidano and Planu Sartu.

Monument dedicated to those lost in the massacre of 1904The “Societè Anonyme des Mines de Malfidano” (The Mines of Malfidano Ltd.) was later founded giving way to the intensive exploitation of the deposits.

The boom provoked by the discovery of those materials brought about the birth of a great village that quickly transformed the town of Buggerru and its outskirts where the villages of Planu Dentis, Caitas and Planu Sartu rose.

Present day, the built-up area maintains the same layout of by gone days, when it was the headquarters of the mines and the director’sbuilding, whereas in the higher up quarters of Monte Rosmarino and Monte Beccu, a large number of small, low miners’ houses amass.

Henry tunnelHere essential aqueduct and sewer services were missing and not built until 1960.

The history of the administrative autonomy of the town is unique which, up to 1960 formed part of the Fluminimaggiore municipality and, that very same year, became the first town in Italy to obtain autonomous administration via referendum.

When the mines closed, local economy concentrated on and developed the tourism sector and industrial and mining archeology.