Go homepage | Go to the section of THE PARK | Go to the section of PLACES | Go to the section of SCHOOL IN THE PARK | Go to the section of COMMUNITY

Skip navigation and go to contents

Information

  • City districts of:
    Villacidro
    Arbus
    Buggerru
    Fluminimaggiore
    Guspini
    San Gavino Monreale


    tel. 347 9170196
    info@parcodessi.it
  • Regione Sardegna
    POR Sardegna 2000-2006
  • U.E. logo
    Project co financed by U.E. - Fondo FESR

History

Figure of Eleonora of Arborea inside San Gavino MartireNothing remains of the thirty nuraghe once noted at San Gavino due to neglect and the effects of time. Amongst the nuraghic sites, the village of Cor’e Mobas is not to be forgotten, a place where several findings and some thirty huts have been discovered. Further evidence from the nuraghic period include small findings and building material from the era, reused in later constructions for example: some elements of the churches of Santa Croce, Santa Chiara, San Gavino and the Santa Lucia convent.

Punic and Roman findings have also been discovered: Ruinas Mannas, the most important site during Punic times, and 19 Roman tombs dating back to the Paleochristian. In the year 1000, the quarter was called Nurazeddu or Nurazellu.

During the war between Arborea and Aragon. It was home of the garrison military barracks and the court of justice, that appears to have elected the San Gavino Martire church as the royal chapel.

Inscription inside San Gavino MartireIts central position and the presence of the Monreale castle, turned San Gavino into an important zone behind the lines submitted to continuous military insistence. In 1409, after Arborea’s last defeat in the battle of Sanluri, San Gavino fell into the hands of the Centelles, then feudal lords of the Quirra Marquisette, and was then later passed onto the Osorio.

It was redeemed in 1839. In the 800s the quarter was seriously damaged by the never-ending bombardments, famine and viola and malaria epidemics. A social and economic turning point came about thanks to the railway line built at the end of the 800s and the foundry in the 1930s. Both have transformed the farming and shepherding quarter into an almost entirely industrial area.